What we do
Evolve is a pro bono criminal justice development organisation. We use the experience and skills of legal experts to promote positive change in the criminal justice sector.
Our aim is to improve access to justice; build the capacity of lawyers, judges and institutions; and promote respect for human rights and the rule of law in criminal justice systems.
We currently focus on criminal justice delivery in Uganda. We work in close partnership with Uganda’s Justice, Law and Order Sector (‘JLOS’) to solve problems and promote criminal justice reform.
Our Current Projects
In partnership with JLOS and the Ugandan Judiciary, our current projects focus on the following:
- Advising upon, Drafting, and Rolling out New Sentencing Guidelines;
- Training and Mentoring Advocates, including in sentencing best practice;
- Reforming Minister’s Orders, and securing release or retrial of formerly mentally ill inmates;
- Tracing for Files across Uganda;
- Ensuring Access to Justice in the most Serious Criminal Cases;
- Clarifying safeguards surrounding Capital Sentencing, and the test for the discretionary Death Penalty;
- Clarifying the new Life Sentence, and considering parole and probation reforms.